Welcome to Manifest-I

Welcome to Manifest-I the blog of Manifest Information Services Ltd. Here we take a wide ranging view of topical governance and stewardship issues. Please feel free to add your comments and join the debate. Sign up to receive free weekly updates.

Manifest is a signatory of the Best Practice Principles for Shareholder Voting Research

Delivering Diverse Viewpoints

In the pursuit of secure investment returns, diverse viewpoints based on high-quality data and varied information are critical for portfolio construction. We believe that share ownership is no different. Manifest intelligently navigates the complexities of global governance and voting delivering actionable and defensible stewardship insights.

Manifest: showing, not telling

Get in touch to find out more about Manifest's governance research, data and advisory services

Eddington concerns resonate with shareholders

Ahead of the Rio Tinto AGMs, Manifest flagged up its concerns regarding the re-election of Sir Roderick Eddington in our meeting business report. Manifest’s US partners, Proxy Governance, issued an ‘against’ recommendation on his re-election.

The results of the voting the AGMs in London and Sydney have now been released. Each of the director election resolutions was decided by way of a joint electorate action – i.e. the aggregate outcome of the votes cast at the two meetings determined the result.

Eddington’s re-election was supported by 59.14% of the votes cast, with 32.33% against and 8.53% submitting positive abstentions. Total dissent was thus 40.86%, making this the third highest show of dissent on a director election in the S&P/ASX 100 in the last 12 months and the fourth highest in the FTSE 100 over the same period.

Five other resolutions at the meetings (including one voted only by the shareholders of the Australian holding company) saw significant dissent, ranging between 14.5% and 19.7%, the highest being in relation to the remuneration report. Further details of the voting and other recent contentious votes are available on Manifest VoteWatch.

What do you think?